[Editor’s note: This post was inspired by my sister Terri.]
Funny how powerful lyrics, a beat of a drum or the strum of a guitar can be.
Think about how many times your favorite song has come on and you involuntarily start bobbing your head or taping your fingers on the steering wheel… next thing you know, you’re singing at the top of your lungs. The person in the car next to you, as expected, either smiles or shakes their head.
Songs can invoke happiness, sadness… or even grief. From the standard motivational track “Eye of the Tiger” getting you up and out of bed to exercise or “Jessie’s Girl” reminding you of the one that got away or “It’s Five O-Clock Somewhere” reminding you to take a break, enjoy the sun and a cocktail… their ability to change your mood in an instance is interesting.
Studies have shown that running while listening to songs with higher beats per minute (BPM) helps increase your pace. A high school science project showed how mice subjected to classical music day-after-day lowered their time to get from start to finish in a maze from 10 minutes to 90 seconds while mice subjected to heavy metal went from 10 minutes to 30 minutes. [LINK]
What are some of your songs and their meanings?
Here are a few of my songs and what they mean to me:
1. Come Away with Me/Norah Jones: Reminds me of love lost
2. California/Phantom Planet: Reminds me of driving down HWY 101, windows down, freedom, being young
3. The Dance/Garth Brooks: Reminds me of if all the “what if’s” and if they had happened what would I have missed out on
4. Champagne Supernova/Oasis: Just reminds me of good stuff… such an infectious song
5. Here it Goes Again/Ok Go: Reminds me of training for the Chicago Marathon… I litterally listened to this song a thousand times
6. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing/Jack Johnson: Reminds me of my impatience because I always feel like I’m sitting, waiting, wishing…
7. Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amelie Poulain/Yann Tiersen: Reminds me of coffee and crepes in Paris
8. Motorcycle Diaries Theme Song/Gustavo Santaolalla: Reminds me of Harley road trip down to L.A. and my trip to Argentina
9. Bittersweet Symphony/Verve Pipe: Reminds me of how I don’t have a voice because I always try singing it! 🙂